Well, it came and went quicker than I expected. Of course, the anticipation of these life moments are always a bit more than the moments themselves, aren't they?! This morning was so crazy with so many kids and so many parents...and all of us parents just trying to catch it all on video or in a picture. Tanner was VERY excited to get there, and then he saw his best neighborhood friend in the parking lot and he was just all about socializing. I tried to snap pictures in between them commenting on each others' backpacks and lunch boxes. The tears really didn't come for me until I was taping Tanner walking down the hall to his classroom...so independent and only glancing back a couple of times to say, "COME ON, Mom and Dad!!" Yep, he had it all together until he tried to go into the wrong classroom....twice! Unphased, however, he made it to Mrs. Toney's class just fine.
He is sharing a "backpack/coat hook" with a girl, and it was so funny to watch his indignation at such a "cubby mate"...a girl, of all things...with a PINK backpack. Oh, how that will change all too soon!! He settled in to his place at the small table and began to work...like he had been going to kindergarten for years. I asked him if he was ok and if he was ready for us to go to the parents' Boo- Hoo breakfast, and he said, "Sure! Love you!" And I barely made it through "our little kiss" before the tears starting spilling out all over the place. But he didn't see it, and he had no tears at all...what a blessing! So, we went to the breakfast where hardly any other parents were crying and I felt like such a geek. I managed to "dry it up" just in time for some woman to begin reading "The Kissing Hand" book to all the parents. If you haven't read it, you should (with tissues), and this is the "special little kiss" that I was referring to...a kiss on the hand from a mama racoon to her baby racoon as he heads off to school for the very first time. Now, the tears started all over again. Why was this the book she read at the boo-hoo breakfast?!?!?!? I really looked like a geek now and had to just depart before the other parents starting pointing and trying to figure out if I needed some assistance....
But truly, I am not ashamed at the love that I have for you, Tanner!! I could cry each time I look into your perfect little face and think of the wonderful blessing from God that you are to this family and to this world! I wouldn't change a single thing about today...or about you! I am so proud of you, Tanner! I love you so much!!
So, here are some pics from the first day!
Kinda hard to see, but Tanner is right by the sign!
I am really not sure who's first day it is....Hugh's or Tanner's?? They look just alike!





4 comments:
Oh how precious!!!!! first day of school and the beginning of a lifetime of happy memories...Tanner, you have the most wonderful mom and dad there ever will be...you are such a wonderful little man and Mammy and Papa are so proud of you....you are such a wonderful part of our family and we love you so much....Mammy and Papa
Glad you made it through the first day of kindergarten. I am already dreading Logan's next year. They grow way too fast!!
He is so cute and such a big boy. You did just what a mother is suppose to do. If you didn't feel some sentiment you wouldn't be human. At least you know he will do good and didn't cry after you.
Your a great mom!!!!
Okay..if you are a geek, what does that make me...I have tears in my eyes just reading this post! You are so sweet and those boys (and the rest of the world for that matter) are so lucky to have you!
Katie
Post a Comment