Friday, April 29, 2011

Marathon madness!

And navigating the 5000 kids and their parents in downtown Nashville was madness, indeed! It was crazy crowded, but worth every single moment! Sweet Tanner, the crowds and the hype made you very nervous, but you reached down deep and found enough courage to step up to the start line and run the race. I even offered to run it with you, but you said, "No thanks, mom. And I don't mean to hurt your feelings." Tanner, you are so sweet. You can tell your mom you would rather be caught dead than running a kid's marathon with her and not hurt my feelings.....well, maybe just a wee little bit!(;
Dad, Evan and I watched you take off with the crowds and I have to admit, I was a tad nervous for you. You were running a mile away from me and I couldn't just be right there if you needed me. All these thoughts flooded my mind...5000 kids....what if he can't finish....what if he takes a wrong turn....what if he needs me...what if? I silently prayed and hurriedly walked to the finish line, trying to look as cool and nonchalant as the other moms. I thought my eyes might pop out of my head, they strained so hard to see you. In a sea of second grade boys in bright orange marathon t shirts, it was little Evan atop his dad's shoulders that first spotted Tanner approaching the finish line. I thought I was gonna cry, and laugh, and jump the barricades to hug that sweaty little boy neck! I was so very proud of you, Tanner. You did it! And you even did it in your best time yet!
You are an incredible young boy, Tanner. Sure, it was just a mile, but it was a mile on a very long journey for our family....and an even longer journey for you. I am so proud of you and for you. I think I might stop grinning like a crazy nut this time next year. Love you, my little running buddy!
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.8

1 comment:

Sushi said...

This made me cry. So sweet. Such a beautifully-documented moment, momma. Way to go, Tanner! I'm not sure I could've done it.
Watch out! Next year: the half! :) I love you all.