As soon as the sun rose this morning, my two energetic boys jumped into our bed begging to know of the day's plans. All that energy soon gave way to prolonged sighs and groans, interjected with a few "Really's?"and "Do we have to's", when they learned that the first part of our day would be seeing The Mini-Nutcracker performed by the Centennial Youth Ballet. This was definitely not going to be the start to a 'magical Christmas season' that I had envisioned.
We loaded up anyway. Me, determined to get some Christmas magic, and my THREE boys, willing to try to stretch their right brains a bit. We barely had entered the auditorium, when the magic snapped you up and you just couldn't resist feeling the spirit of the season. There was hustle and bustle everywhere in the gallery.... With beautifully packaged sweet treats on one side and brightly colored Nutcracker themed ornaments on the other. We found our seats and read through the program to get an idea of the Nutcracker story. Soon the lights dimmed, and the true magic began. It was such a feast for the senses....the unforgettable and familiar music, the exquisite costumes, and fantastical story....I stole sideways glances at the boys and they seemed intrigued. We snacked on delightful Christmas cookies at intermission, and I couldn't believe it when I heard Evan hurrying us to get back to our seats before the performance began again. In spite of his rush, we managed to fulfill our Christmas tradition of choosing new ornaments for the tree, and both boys picked Nutcracker ornaments.....Tanner blue and Evan red.
As you know, the second half of the Nutcracker contains almost all of the solo ballet performances...a treat for most girls, but can get a little redundant for those carrying a Y chromosome. Tanner was still quietly watching, but Evan grew a tad squirmy.
All too soon for me, it came to an end. We chatted with some friends we knew from the boys' tutorial school on the way out, but as soon as we got in the car, I asked the boys for their honest opinions. They both seemed to enjoy it, but weren't sure if it was to be an annual tradition for our family. Fair enough. I was pleased.
And then the giggles started. It was as if they couldn't stay inside a moment longer. Seeing a man in tights was just more than they could respectfully handle. The boy in all three of them won out and the magic and splendor soon gave way to many "all boy" comments. Aaaahhhhh... Such is the life of an all-boy mom. And I have to admit....I was giggling a little, too! Great memories for a magical Christmas!
Saturday, December 1, 2012
The Nutcracker
Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.9
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment