Monday, June 24, 2013

Refreshing worship....

Hospitals are not closed on Sundays, so I am not always able to worship with my family, which makes the Sundays that I can, all the more special. Yesterday was like that for me...I wasn't working, wasn't playing a Jewish basket weaver in the children's marketplace, but was going to entirely worship. Not that helping out in the children's ministry isn't worship, but I was looking forward to some "God + me" time.....with Hugh, too, of course!
It was a Sunday devoted to the remembrance of Christ's sacrifice for us with bread and wine....or in our church, crackers and grape juice.....but it's all in the moment of remembering and thankfulness, right?
Remember that commercial for 7-Up where the African-american guy in the white suit takes a long, refreshing drink of 7-Up and then let's out a soul-satisfying, "Aaaaaahhhhhhhh, that's refreshing!"?  If you did, it probably made you really want a 7-Up because it was so convincingly refreshing! So what does this commercial have to do with church?
Well, this past Sunday, there was a little four year old boy sitting in my row. I noticed him during the "meet your neighbor" time, and that was about it. Truly. He was that quiet and that good. Then came time for the Lord's Supper. He was still good, but as soon as we were prompted to "take and drink all of it", he surely did and let out the longest "aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh" after he polished off his teaspoon of grape juice. (He didn't add the"refreshing"part, but he didn't have to....you could just tell it was refreshing). With eyes closed and head bowed, I began to laugh....thankfully, I didn't snort while trying to be quiet:) But, it just struck me as cute and, oh so endearing. I bet Jesus wished we all approached His cup that way...yearning for Him to be the ultimate Refresher...the very reason we all tilt our heads way, way back, drink His love for us in deeply, and then, in wonderment, proclaim a refreshing "aaaaahhhhhhh!"

Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.10

No comments: