Saturday, August 16, 2008

Festivus 2008!!

A week after our vacation was the annual "Festivus" in Fruitvale, Tn...a very small town outside of Jackson where the Nelson family gathers for a weekend of fun and relaxation on the family farm. If you are Seinfeld buffs, like Hugh and I are, then you remember the episode of "Festivus for the rest of us" and that's how it got its name.
The weekend-long fun was cut a little short for us as the boys waited on Mom to finish a Beth Moore simulcast at church- which I must say was amazing and about being a woman of substance. That's sort of a hard concept for me to grasp at times when you are parenting preschoolers....is there really such a thing as substance? And am I really a woman?...I thought I was just a mama!! Truly, if you have never done a Beth Moore Bible Study, read one of her books, or been to one of her events, it can be life changing. God has really annointed this woman with the power of conveying His truths to us women...in a very fun and real way!

So, back to Festivus!!! This year the Nelson's rented a hot air balloon for tethered rides which delighted everyone. Tanner and Evan were simply amazed and Tanner mustered the courage to take a ride with Dad, but Evan was very content to keep his feet firmly planted on the ground, thank you very much....just like his mom!! It was a great weekend with go cart rides, water slide fun, and grilled hot dogs. It was HOT, but what's a family reunion in August without a little sweat amongst family members?!?!? It was a wonderful time for the boys to reconnect with family that they don't see very often.....and they are always up for fun!!









No comments: