Saturday, September 27, 2008

Tanner's first official school field trip!!!

The first official field trip of the Kindergarten year....to an apple orchard! Oh, do you remember field trips??? I don't remember all of them, but one stands out in my memory so clearly. It was our trip to the Sunbeam bread company to watch how bread is made. I still remember that smell of fresh baked bread and how we got to wear those little paper Sunbeam hats so proudly. It was all so amazing to me....right down to the crazy, loud, mostly on two wheels bus ride! Hugh and I signed up to be chaperones as any "worth your salt", new and way-too-eager Kindergarten parent would. That morning found Evan with some congestion and a fever, so Hugh was on his own as a chaperone to the apple orchard. They both seemed to enjoy the bus ride the most (: and the kids all got to pick some apples, taste some apple cider, and bring home a souvenir apple shaped water bottle and some apples. Tanner was so happy. But, I have to say, that the absolute BEST part of the entire adventure (and Tanner will tell you the same) was that Dad stayed and ate lunch with Tanner in the school cafeteria upon returning from the orchard. The parents are the last ones through the lunch line, and Hugh said that Tanner had saved him a seat at his table....said he had to tell a couple of kids 'Sorry, but I'm saving this seat for my dad.'
Oh the pure joy of your son saving a seat for you!! How we must savor the days when our children really do enjoy us and think we are cool. Here are some pics from the orchard and the lunchroom!

Tanner and Michael with their hand-picked apples

Tanner's kindergarten class

Mmmmmm....tasty school lunches. Tanner actually LOVES Fridays because that is when he gets to buy his lunch at school.

1 comment:

Katie Huskins said...

Where is there an apple orchard around here??? I miss going there in the fall, we had them all over Michigan...oh now I am craving apple cider!!